At the N C Mountain State Fair,
our VOLUNTEERS are the
HEARTBEAT of the FAIR!
We invite you to join the fun and become part of our family!
What do volunteers do at the fair?
Expo Hall (Before the Fair):
- Monday – Friday: August 28 – September 1 from 9:00am – 5:00pm: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Help clean and decorate the tables in all areas of Expo. Assist Department Superintendents as needed.
- Monday & Tuesday: September 4 & 5 from 9:00am – 7:00pm: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Help with receiving entries.
- Check to make sure entries are in the correct classes.
- Show exhibitors how to place entry tags on exhibits.
- Make sure exhibitors place the entries in the correct locations.
- Wednesday, September 7 from 9:00am until…: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Assist with judging and recording the judges’ results;
- After judging is finished, help organize entries & place them in the correct locations.
- Thursday, September 8 from 9:00am until…..: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Assist Department Superintendents with final set-up and exhibit placement before opening day;
- Make sure Expo Hall is ready to receive guests on Friday morning.
Expo Hall (During the Fair):
- Assist as needed at the Information Table at the front of the building (answer visitors’ questions, hand out daily schedules, etc.);
- Monitor horticulture, art and other exhibits to ensure they are not tampered with.
- Answer questions from visitors.
- Straighten curtains & keep areas tidy – a continuous job!
These are only suggestions! We will work with all volunteers (especially students) to fit volunteer hours around your schedules.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Sept 8, 9 & 10 and Sept 15, 16 & 17):
- 9:00am – 1:30pm
- 1:15pm – 5:30pm
- 5:45pm – 10:00pm
Monday – Thursday (Sept 11 – 14):
- 3:00pm – 6:30pm
- 6:15pm – 10:00pm
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a signed parental permission form.
- Volunteers will receive a Fair t-shirt upon arriving for their first shift. The t-shirt should be worn for the duration of all shifts.
- Volunteers must sign in and out before and after each shift in order to have their hours counted.
- Volunteers are expected to be at their stations, performing their assigned duties, for the entire shift to which they commit.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Free admission to the Fair for the day of your shift. Information on ticket distribution to follow.
- Opportunity to participate in Volunteer Incentive program
- Invitation to a Volunteer Appreciation Dinner after the fair closes.
To Volunteer Contact:
828-687-1414 ext. 208