At the N C Mountain State Fair,
our VOLUNTEERS are our
We invite you to join the fun and become part of our family!
What do volunteers do at the fair?
Expo Hall (Before the Fair):
- Monday – Friday, August 26 – August 30 from 9:00am – 5:00pm: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Help clean and decorate the tables in all areas of Expo (except Flower & Garden). Assist Department Superintendents as needed.
- Monday & Tuesday, September 2 & 3 from 9:00am – 7:00pm: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Help with receiving entries
- Check to make sure entries are in the correct classes;
- Show exhibitors how to place entry tags on exhibits;
- Make sure exhibitors place the entries in the correct locations.
- Wednesday, September 4 from 9:00am until…: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Assist with judging and recording the judges’ results;
- After judging is finished, help organize entries & place them in the correct locations.
- Thursday, September 5 from 9:00am until…..: (As many volunteers as possible)
- Assist Department Superintendents with final set-up and exhibit placement before opening day;
- Make sure Expo Hall is ready to receive guests on Friday morning.
Expo Hall (During the Fair):
- Assist as needed at the Information Table at the front of the building (answer visitors’ questions, hand out daily schedules, etc.);
- Help fairgoers (especially children) participate in Ag-Venture activities in Expo: Butter Making, Seed Necklaces, Apple Trees, Egg Gathering, etc.; (There are other Ag-Venture activities pending sponsorship & staff availability.)
- Watch over horticulture, art and other exhibits to see that they aren’t damaged or tampered with and answer questions from visitors;
- Straighten curtains & keep areas tidy – a continuous job!
- Thursday, September 12, elementary schools from surrounding counties have a field trip to the Fair.We need as many volunteers as possible to greet these children and help the teachers herd them around Expo, answering questions, and to other stops they make before they eat lunch on the fairgrounds.
Farmer Bill’s Ag-Ventures Tent (During the Fair):
- At least 1 volunteer for each of these activities: Tater Box, Cow Milking & Corn Table;
- 2 – 3 volunteers per shift to watch battery, peddle & sit-n-scoot tractors; (These tractors were not used during the 2017 fair because we didn’t have sufficient staff to man them.)
- Answer questions from visitors concerning the animals on display in the tent.
These are only suggestions!We will work with all volunteers (especially students) to fit volunteer hours around your schedules.
Friday, Saturday, Sunday (Sept 6, 7 & 8 and Sept 13, 14 & 15):
- 8:45am – 1:15pm
- 1:15pm – 5:45pm
- 5:45pm – 10:15pm
Monday – Thursday (Sept 9 – 12):
- 2:45pm – 6:30pm
- 6:30pm – 10:15pm
School Tour Day (Thursday, Sept 12):
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must have a signed parental permission form.
- All volunteers are required to attend a training session, date and time to be announced.
- Volunteers must sign in and out before and after each shift in order to have their hours counted.
- Volunteers are expected to be at their stations, performing their assigned duties, for the entire shift to which they commit.
Benefits of Volunteering:
- Volunteers who commit to 10 or more hours receive a NC Mountain State Fair tee shirt.
- Free admission to the Fair for the day of your shift. On a first-come, first-served basis, a limited number of parking passes are available for the lot next to the Expo Building.
- Invitation to a Volunteer Appreciation Dinner after the fair closes.
To Volunteer Contact:
828-687-1414 ext. 210
828-687-1414 ext. 208